Match Report: Phoenix Sports U18s v VCD Athletic Youth

Adrian Swan

Phoenix Sports Youth 2 v 1 VCD Athetic Youth
1-0 Debenham (57), 1-1 Marsh (62) (pen), 2-1 Holland (90).

Phoenix Sports won their first game of the season against near neighbours VCD Athletic.

The result was in doubt until the very last minute when a deflected strike from the hard working Frankie Holland gave the home side the points.

VCD started the game brightly and had the first chance of the game on 2 minutes when Eren Musa made a good run into the box but his close range shot was well saved by home keeper Jack King.

Minutes later Musa’s through ball put Billy Marsh in on goal but his shot was blocked by a defender for a corner.

On 10 minutes Marsh’s deft pass saw Noah Agbinone race through on goal but King was quickly off his line to make a close range block on the edge of his box.

VCD’s positive start continued with Reece Mclellan’s cross finding Agbinone on the edge of the box and he made space well before hitting a shot on the turn that flew just over.

It was not until the 18th minute that Phoenix created a real opening when Holland did well to win the ball on the edge of the VCD area before flashing a low shot narrowly wide.

After this the home side had a good spell of possession with Liam Giles hitting a fierce shot on the turn at VCD keeper Harry Ebdon on 29 minutes and then shortly afterwards Daniel Westray hitting a 20 yard shot just wide.

Phoenix then nearly took the lead on 37 minutes when Jaydan Davy’s right wing corner fell to Dean Neary in the box and although his toe poked effort beat Ebdon low to his right, Ollie Aldrich was covering their right hand post and was able to hack the ball off the line to safety.

Neary then had another shot fly straight at Ebdon before the last chance of the half fell to the visitors when Marsh’s free kick found Agbinone in the box but his shot was deflected over for a corner.

Phoenix went close to opening the scoring early in the second half when Westray made a strong run down the left before cutting into the box and hitting a powerful shot that forced Ebdon into a good diving save low to his right.

VCD’s Mustafa Ouattara then turned well on the edge of the box before hitting a fierce shot that King did well to catch high above his head.

The home side then took the lead on 57 minutes when Charles Bissett launched a free kick into the VCD box where Ebdon came off his line to make a good punched clearance sending the ball out of the area but it was immediately headed back and fell to Ryan Debenham who swept the loose ball home from close range.

On the hour mark VCD had an opportunity to equalise when Mclellan’s neat through pass put Agbinone in on goal but King made a good close range block to deny the visiting striker.

However minutes later they were awarded a spot kick when Mclellan, making another good forward run, cleverly drew a foul in the box when he was brought down by Neary’s challenge.

Marsh took the penalty powerfully firing home low to the right of King, who dived the right way but could not the prevent the ball finding the bottom corner of the net.

Phoenix then had a great chance to regain the lead on 70 minutes when a high ball forward saw Ebdon race off his line to clear but perhaps being fooled by the strong wind, the ball held up and he missed his attempted clearance leaving Davy a clear run through on goal but he took an extra touch before shooting goalwards, enabling Patrick Jackson to get back and make a great clearance on the line.

Into the final minutes of this absorbing contest it was Phoenix again who went close to scoring when Giles pumped a free kick from the half way line into the VCD box where the loose ball fell to Neary whose close range shot was blocked by Ebdon.

Minutes later it was VCD who nearly scored when Harry Taylor’s pass found McLellan racing into the box but his rasping shot was well beaten away by King moving high to his right with the loose ball falling out to Harry Paul whose follow up shot flew narrowly wide.

The visitors then went close again to a winner on 89 minutes when Musa’s pass found Ouattara in the box but his shot on the turn was well saved by King diving low to his right.

Phoenix then took the points in the 90th minute when a loose ball in the box fell to Holland whose shot took a deflection off a VCD defender sending the ball looping up high and to the right of Ebdon into the net. This local derby was played in a very good spirit by both teams and well officiated by Referee Liam Vitoria.